Friday 15 February 2013

Lent Photo Diary - The Gospel of John

This Lent I have set myself a challenge. In an effort to see more of the depth in the amazing text that is John's gospel and more of the world around me I am taking a photo a day inspired by what I have read that morning in John. I'm totally shiny and new to the world of photography, really I'm just playing, but I hope this pictures might say something about the text and encourage you to get out there and see the world through a new lens too!

So here they are, the first three days!

Day 1: John 1: 1-18 In the Beginning

'In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God....'

 
 
The Greek text for ther passage is absolutely beautiful and contains way more to it than our (admittedly also beautiful) Englsh text. The word 'logos' (translated 'word'in English) is full of meaning. In Greek philosophical terms it meant reason, explaination, that which generates the universe. Big stuff!
 
 
Day 2: John 1: 19-32 John the Baptist
 
'I am the voice of one calling out in the desert. "Make straight the way of the Lord".'
 
 

John the Baptist was a fabulous character (he lived in the desert wearing camel hair coats and living off wild honey and locusts!) and this speech is reported to him. The gospels record him as Jesus' cousin and he came before him to prepare the people for the arrival of Jesus.

Day 3: John 1: 35-51 The calling of the first disciples

'When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, “Here truly is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit.”  “How do you know me?” Nathanael asked. Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.” Then Nathanael declared, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel.” Jesus said, “You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You will see greater things than that.”

 
I love the sense of God knowing exactly where you are. He sees Nathaniel simply sitting there under a tree, in the ordinary everyday, and then he promises him the world.
 

Back in a few days time!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment