Saturday 23 February 2013

Lent Photo Diary - Part 3

Day 7: John 4: 1-24 The Samaritan Woman at the Well

Jesus said to her, ‘Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but those who drink of the water that I will give them will never be thirsty. The water that I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life.’ The woman said to him, ‘Sir, give me this water, so that I may never be thirsty'.

 
You may be noticing a theme of water here. First the water into wine and now Jesus is speaking to a Samaritan woman and promising her water that will leave her never thirsty again. This statue spoke of that kind of thirst to me. What are you thirsting for?
 
Day 8: John 4: 43 to end Jesus heals a Royal Official's son
 
Jesus said to him, ‘Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe.’  The official said to him, ‘Sir, come down before my little boy dies.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Go; your son will live.’
 
 
This is the second of Jesus' miracles recorded in John's gospel. Oddly enough the fact that people believed that Jesus performed miracles is one of the most widely accepted facts in New Testament scholarship. The question isn't whether this was his reputation but rather what these incidences were all about. Was he a first century Darren Brown or was he who he said he was?
 
Day 9: John 5: 1-18 Jesus heals a paralyzed man
 
When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had been there a long time, he said to him, ‘Do you want to be made well?’ The sick man answered him, ‘Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; and while I am making my way, someone else steps down ahead of me.’
 
Jesus said to him, ‘Stand up, take your mat and walk.’ At once the man was made well, and he took up his mat and began to walk.
 
 
The man in this story is laying by a pool in Jerusalem known for its healing properties. He is described as laying under the 'porticoes'. I imagine these abandoned people laying there under this massive, grand structure and it seems like such a stark contrast.The vulnerable and the powerful and the two meeting in such an extraordinary way in this enounter.
 
Thanks for reading, see you in a few days!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment