Tuesday 12 March 2013

Lent Photo Diary - Part 7

Day 19: John 11:1-27 The Death of Jesus' friend Lazarus

Martha said to Jesus, ‘Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.'

 
These words are so raw and it is exactly how we respond when terrible, inexplicable things happen. 'If you were really there God then this would never have happened.' I took a photo of pins because that is what grief feels like to me. Sharp.
 
Day 20: John 11: 27-44 Jesus weeps
 
'They said to him, ‘Lord, come and see.’  Jesus began to weep.'
 
 
Pretty much my whole theology of suffering comes from this verse. When he saw his friend had died, Jesus wept. By this I know God understands my suffering and supports me in my tears. And so I took a self portrait on a sad day.
 
Day 21: John 11: 45 - end It is better for one man to die...
 
But one of them, Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, said to them, ‘You know nothing at all! You do not understand that it is better for you to have one man die for the people than to have the whole nation destroyed.’
 
 

This passage is fascinating as it is thought that this is a historical reason that Jesus was executed. His behaviour, particularly his reputation as a miracle worker, lead to concerns that he was leading the people astray and would draw the attentions of the Roman authorities. The globe makes me think of all those empires that have risen and fallen and all those who have fallen because of it.
 
Day 22: John 12: 1-11 A big ol' vat of perfume is poured on Jesus!
 
'Mary took a pound of costly perfume made of pure nard, anointed Jesus’ feet, and wiped them with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.'
 
 
It is thought that Mary did this sensing the growing tension around Jesus and fearing for his life. Whatever her reasoning she lavished him with love. It would be like pouring a hundred bottles of Chanel over him!

No comments:

Post a Comment